Proposition 1 connects Tacoma to SeaTac, Seattle, and our entire region.
- Extends the Sounder Commuter rail from Lakewood to DuPont, and adds additional Sounder service.
- Provides light rail connecting Federal Way to the Tacoma Dome
- Extends the Tacoma Link from downtown to Tacoma Community College.
Speeding up your evening commute
Riding light rail from Federal Way to the Tacoma Dome will take only 19 minutes — which is 23 minutes faster than making the same trip by driving on I-5 during rush hour. Carrying thousands of people in its own right-of-way, light rail is the most efficient way to avoid I-5’s congestion.
Sounder Commuter Rail
South Sounder commuter rail is at capacity today. Proposition 1 will expand service and capacity, making it more reliable and easier to get around.
- Southern extension to Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM), and DuPont.
- Improvements to South Sounder including additional service and platform extensions.
- Additional parking around stations.
- Pedestrian and bike improvements to access stations.
A single light rail line can move 16,000 people per hour — 23 times the number of cars a freeway lane can move during rush hour.
- Tacoma Dome to Federal Way & the Region: Connecting 9.7 miles to the region’s light rail system, providing reliable transit to SeaTac Airport and Downtown Seattle that avoids I-5’s traffic congestion.
- Extends Tacoma Link to Tacoma Community College, adding 6 new stops.
Better Pierce Transit Bus Service
- Provides partnership funding to Pierce Transit to create a new bus rapid transit corridor along Pacific Avenue from Tacoma to Puyallup.
- Provides more reliable connections between Pierce Transit bus service and Sounder commuter rail, including connections to Orting, Bonney Lake, and Sumner.